Sunday, November 25, 2012

Buffalo Creek: 543, Baldy, Miller Gulch, Sandy Wash

Great weather brings out a whole lotta people on the weekends.  Buffalo Creek was busy.  While I have no problems sharing the trails with mountain bikers, today was a bit of a pain because of a group of horses.  The problem is that they kept passing me, which would require me to stop so all six of them (and another half-dozen or so dogs) could pass me, they'd ride for a while, then stop to water their horses, talk or have lunch, then resume just in time to pass me again, requiring me to stop.  By the fourth and final time it was almost comical, but I don't do well with interruptions on the trail and it did disturb my mojo for the hike.  I just wanted to belt out miles and it seemed like there were too many pace-breaking stops to get a good flow.  That combined with running out of water about three hours in, which made me cut the hike a bit short of what I was hoping for today and I can just say that I've had better days on the trail.


A beautiful sky, but man, was it dry.  I don't think I can recall a November this dry here on the front range.  One of the fire departments had it signed as Extreme fire danger (likely one above reality, but still, very high is ridiculous for November).


The view north toward Long Scraggy.

14.24 miles on the day, 4:27:18, average pace was 18:46, 1,305' vertical.

No comments:

Post a Comment